Monday, August 3, 2015

STEREOTYPES SUCK!! EVERYONE SHOULD BE LOVED AND RESPECTED FOR WHO THEY ARE.

I absolutely hate stereotypes. A lot of people seem to always try to fit people in a neat little box. Sometimes when people are placed in their neat box, they are looked down upon. People at times do not even give people a chance and try to get to know them. 
People sometimes automatically think that their group is better than the other. I go to Boise State and I love the fact that there is a lot of diverse cultures there. I love having the opportunity to get to know diverse cultures. From a young age, I was taught not to ever think I was better than other people. In fact, this is how I look at it...If God wanted us to all be the same as a whole package, he would have made us the same. Life is a journey and on that journey there are different people that you will meet. When people take the time to get to know others, regardless of how they are labeled, they usually find that the person is very interesting. For one they bleed red like the rest of us. Two, they have their own story to tell. I view people sort of like books. Just because someone prefers to play sports or can be described as a intellect, does not mean a person has a right to look down on the other or treat a person differently. The two individuals should be respected equally. An athlete should not be considered dumb or stupid. In fact I have met jocks that were straight A students and were consistently on honor role. Guess what? They were the nicest people! I love people who are described as intellects. In high school sadly enough the intellects were made fun of. I hated that because to me it was sooo unfair. Lots of people now would tell me "Guess what? Life's not fair!" I made sure I befriended those people. I was about 15 years of age and today I am still friends with these individuals. If a person is described as "gothic", the stereotypes that all goths are witches or worship the devil are not true. I have found out from being friends with a few that they are extremely intriguing people. The gothic individuals that I met are very open minded, VERY artistic and have great taste in music. These individuals are really great people to have had the chance to get to know. If you want to know more about diverse cultures, all you have to do is try to be friends with people of other cultures. You would be amazed at what fascinating things that you can learn. You really don't have to travel out of the United States unless you just want to. One of my pet peeves is when I hear people refer to foreign people as illegal immigrants. I feel like they are referring to all foreign people that way. When people say that Mexicans are taking their jobs lets be real. Those "jobs" are usually jobs most people won't do. I'm just saying. The stereo type that they will work for $5.00 an hour...maybe they will.  Everyone that I know makes $10.00 an hour or more AND they were/are in college, spoke/speak English and had/have their papers. Taco Bell, Rio Grande, Fiesta Guadalajara and restaurants like these are not really even close to what real Mexican food taste like. Contrary to popular belief, Mexicans and Hispanics in general are not dumb at all. They are some of the smartest, people blessed with common sense.  They seem to always know someone who can help you regardless of what problem you might have. Seriously there is good and bad in all races. I feel like a lot of stereotypes are simply not true!  Now we move to heavy people. I think it is absolutely wrong to assume heavy people are lazy or sit around and eat all day. They might actually have a thyroid problem or they could be insulin resistant. Being insulin resistant makes it harder to lose weight when someone exercises. The individuals a lot of times need medicine as well as a special diet to get their weight down. Regardless of why they are heavy, it does not give people the right to be mean or to ridicule them. If a heavy person is out trying to walk or run, I'm asking you to PLEASE not make fun of them by saying "RUN FAT ASS RUN!!" That kind of treatment can emotionally and mentally scar people. A lot of times the person attempting to help him or herself probably has low self esteem or a low self image anyways. If you think that it helps motivate them it doesn't. In fact, it makes you look like a horrendous monster in this already cruel world. Trust me, if someone is overweight and they are out trying to walk everyday, it would probably do them more good to give them a two thumbs up when driving by. Also congratulate them and tell them keep up the good work. That type of positive reinforcement will go many more miles with people. I was hiking up this mountain called Table Rock. This beautiful lady jogging up hill went by me as I was almost to the top and she was like "Congrats to you. Good work". To me that made my day for a week because she was nice enough to take a few minutes out of her day to acknowledge my trying to do better for myself. That was when I discovered I love hiking and long walks. Anyways back to my point. If folks are out trying to walk or jog they already know what is wrong with their weight. That is why they are out there in the first place. When I see people make fun of heavy people or just people in general it saddens me and it kind pisses me off. Imagine if that person was your mom, dad, sibling, friend ect. Some would say "But I would not let anyone I know get to that point in their life" Yes, maybe but not everyone thinks alike or has similar life experiences either. Regardless of what walk of life a person is from, treat the person with respect. This world would be a more awesome, pleasant place to live in if we learned to respect and love one another. Taking into consideration someone's feelings goes a long way as well. People will ALWAYS remember you by the way you made them feel. If they were made to feel bad, sometimes people hold grudges for many years. Life sometimes can be like traveling in a huge circle and you might need that person someday. If you did need someone who you made feel bad, that person will probably be picturing that negative experience he or she went through with you.   As I have said in some of my earlier post there are topics that I will post that might not refer to my eBook I'm promoting. These post will be coming up fairly soon. If there are any topics/subjects you would love to discuss or have an opinion about by all means let me know and I will gladly converse with you. As always, thank you for stopping by and have a great day. S.L. Melendez


amazon.com
smashwords.com
bookdaily.com
lulu.com


Copyright 8/3/15 S.L. Melendez


No comments:

Post a Comment